Tuesday 24 April 2012

Day 1 - Ready, Set, GO!

Today has been great. It feels so good to be back on track. And what do two ladies eat on their very first day of a challenge? Morning started with Ezekiel Cereal. Tastes a lot like Grape Nuts, but is even more filling. A little goes a very long way.

Then came lunch.  Melina made hummus from a recipe that came from the Engine 2 book. I should say she adapted it from the recipe, as she does her best work when left to her own devices. I don't think she measured anything, and it was damn good. It is a very light tasting hummus. Taking the oil and tahini out does change the texture, but it was fantastic on my sandwich of whole wheat pita, mushrooms, tomato and avocado with lots of pepper. She had hers with toasted pita wedges. YUM!

Should take a second to note, be careful when buying whole wheat pita. READ INGREDIENTS! I thought the one I always purchased was fine until I read the ingredients and found out there was white flour in it. YUCK! Unlike bread loaves, pita does not usually say the percentage whole wheat and it is easy to assume that it's 100% when it isn't.


Now tonight we are having a favourite, and I am so friggin' excited. I can smell it cooking now. Mexican Lasagna (photos of the process included)! If you love mexican food, then try this. If you have kids, then try this. Just try this!!

Another thing to get used to is frying vegetables without oil. It actually works really well. Just put the water in the pan and add the onions or whatever, and sauté as usual. Add water as it evaporates. It gives the food a nice flavour to do it this way because it makes a quite flavourful brothy base. I think I prefer it this way. Who knew!

On to tomorrow.

~ Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment