Friday 28 October 2011

Taco Salad, Meal of the Goddesses



I love taco salad. Oh, I supposed I should say something else as this is a blog.  I suppose you need to understand why I love taco salad. I've loved taco salad, in all it's various incarnations, for the last 24-25 years. The first taco salad I ever made was when I was 15, my mom had a little buy-at-the-grocery-store mexican cookbook.  There was a recipe for a taco salad. It was very similar to the taco salad you'd get in a mexican place.



When I first made it, I was not vegan, or even vegetarian back then. It was made with hamburger (barf) and  real cheese (barf). I used to make it with iceberg lettuce (which you could still use, it has a nice crunch thought not the most nutritious, or romaine if you like). I now make it with spinach. Since Denise's gall bladder removal, she cannot eat (digest) lettuce. Only spinach. Doctors say it has nothing to do with gall bladder removal. But she ate lettuce a lot before op, after op could not eat a bite without lots of pain. NO connection. Right.

Anyway, back to the joy of the taco salad. when we started this blog, I was excited because I knew we would be sharing my (Denise likes it a lot too) fave meal. It's the meal we have when we have something to celebrate, when we have people over, on holidays (usually on Christmas, as we have our Tofurky on Yule) or when we need some comfort. This salad might serve 4, but we don't roll like that, so it would be a big meal for 2. A very big meal.  (With lots of leftovers for lunch the next day, which is the best thing EVER!! ~ Denise)

Taco Salad

2 really big clamshells of baby spinach (or greens of your choosing) 10-12 cups, rinsed
1 package Daiya (we use cheddar)
1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
2 tbsp minced onion
1 package veggie ground round (or similar)
1 tbsp oil
1 packet taco seasoning (or, if you want to keep away from processed, you can use a blend of spices to make taco-y, but you might want to add some thickener as well)
1 big bag tortilla chips (we love the que pasa ones) crushed
1 container vegan sour cream
1 jar salsa (or homemade if you prefer)

Ok, in a small skillet, add oil and ground round. Saute till sightly browned, then add 1/3 cup water and add taco seasoning, stir and simmer till thickened a bit.





In the biggest bowl you have, add minced onion, chopped tomatoes and toss. Add greens. Toss. Add crushed tortilla chips, and then add cheese, toss very well.




Now it ready to serve. Put greens mixture on plate, add some ground round, then a dollop or two of sour cream, and pour some salsa over it and you have a happy, happy taco salad.



I love it so much, I hope you love it too. This is my favorite meal. Ever.



-Melina  : D

No comments:

Post a Comment