Thursday 3 November 2011

Bronski Curry



I love curry.  This is definitely the best chickpea curry I have ever eaten, and we have a lovely lady named Bronwyn to thank for it.  There are a few things you should know about Bron.  #1 She's vegan, which makes her cool.  #2 She's British, which makes her cooler.  #3 She has a tendency to pose in an inappropriate manner with statues, and occasionally cannons.  #4 She eats pickled onions, which makes me think she is very brave.  I can't get my head around them myself.

The availability of curry on every corner is one of the many reasons that Melina and I think living in the UK would be heavenly.  Also, the gorgeous scenery, shopping and sexy accents.  But I digress.

Our very favourite restaurant in the city is the Taj Mahal.  Melina has made me promise that when I get a novel published,  I will take her out to dinner there.  She has been planning the menu for ages.  In the meantime, we get by with an assortment of homemade curries, including this one.  It is known in our home as 'Bronski Curry', and I could eat it every day.  YUM!



Melina will explain further.  :)

Thanks, Denise.

Bronski is awesome. I do enjoy a fine curry. We thank her for this recipe. Yay!

Chickpea Curry

1 tbsp olive oil
1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp ginger powder
5 tsp curry powder (or to taste)
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 good pinch cinnamon
1 cup water
1 large tomato, chopped
pinch oregano

Heat oil in medium pot. Add onion and saute till translucent, then add garlic and saute and minute or so more. Add ginger and curry powders, stir and saute for about 1/2 minute more, add chickpeas, water, salt, pepper, cumin and cinnamon. Stir.
Then add the tomato and oregano. Stir.
Lower heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, until tomatoes cook down. Stir on occasion.
After tomatoes are cooked, remove lid and continue cooking to remove excess liquid. When you have desired thickness, serve over rice.



It is a good curry. It freezes well too.

- Melina  : D

No comments:

Post a Comment