Friday 13 January 2012

Brill Banana Bread



So, I love banana bread. Some folks don't. Denise's mom thinks it's stupid to 'cook with bananas'. If you are like me, and come down on the side of pro banana cooking, read on, my friend, read on.

Have you always wanted to be a wizard? In the kitchen, I sometimes feel a bit like an old time alchemist, with my flours and sugars and potions. Ok, it's vanilla, not a potion, but let use some whimsy here, ok?

What follows is my first recipe. All mine.







Brill Banana Bread

- 3 bananas,over-ripe and mushed
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp vanilla
-3/4 cup brown sugar
-1/4 cup applesauce
-1/4 cup soy milk
-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
-1/2 tsp sea salt
-1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
-1/2 cup unbleached white flour
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-3/4 tsp baking soda

Preheat over to 350*









In small bowl, mix warm water and flax meal well, and set aside to thicken.

In medium bowl, mash bananas. Add applesauce, soy milk, vanilla, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add thickened flax meal, mix well.

In separate large bowl, combine flours, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Combine well.

Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and combine till ' just mixed'. Pour in greased loaf pan. Sprinkle Demerara sugar on top. I used 1/4 cup. This was nice because it was all crunchy on top, but if you want to use less, of course you can.

Bake for about 60-ish minutes. Make sure that a knife inserted comes out clean.




 Denise's comment was intermittent moaning, and observed it was more 'cake' like than 'bread'(which I meant as the highest of compliments! ~ Denise). I was most pleased with it and will be treating loved ones to banana bread soon. I think you know who you are!



Hugs, Melina.


No comments:

Post a Comment